A company run by people, for those in their time of need
Corporate Social Responsibility
ÁLTIMA, an environmentally-friendly company, has implemented an environmental management system in all its funeral parlours and wake rooms, based on the principle of sustainable development.
With the application of this system, the ISO 14001 Standard, at ÁLTIMA:
- We ensure strict compliance with environmental legislation.
- We make significantly progress in preventing contamination and reducing those aspects of our activity with the greatest environmental impact, such as the atmospheric emissions from the cremation furnaces and the generation of non-recyclable and non-reusable waste.
- We are committed to communicating our environmental policy to all the staff in our centres and our suppliers and making them aware of this aspect.
The system also allows for its own improvement through:
- Regular reviews by the company's Environmental Committee and through internal audits.
- The regular analysis of our environmental impact and the information about this obtained from customers, suppliers, authorities and third parties in general.
Our commitment to quality and the environment
ÁLTIMA maintains a commitment to environmental quality in a way which ensures the continuous improvement in its behaviour with regard to the environment. This determination essentially leads to an aspiration to reach standards of excellence in matters of corporate responsibility, occupational health and safety and the environment.
Some of ÁLTIMA's objectives are saving on water and electricity and reducing waste and paper.
In this regard, the group has the quality management certification, ISO 9001-2000, in all the funeral parlours and cemeteries that it manages.
It has also achieved the ISO 14001-2004 environmental management certificate in all its cemeteries. Moreover, the cars used at the company have been electric for some years. They do not pollute because they do not burn fuel and therefore do not emit gases. In addition, they also make no noise.
ÁLTIMA manages the Parc Roques Blanques Regional Cemetery, located in the municipality of El Papiol, within the Collserola Natural Park, which was the first in Spain and the third in Europe to obtain the European EMAS certificate, a very strict environmental standard.
Run by ÁLTIMA since 1990 under an administrative concession, Roques Blanques has been a pioneer in launching environmentally-friendly burial initiatives such as the Calming Forest, the Family Tree and the Garden of Rest, which promote the use of biodegradable urns and the proper management of non-biodegradable ones.
In recent years, Rocas Blances has been established as a leading cemetery and park in Spain due to projects to protect the endangered native flora and fauna, in collaboration with the Consorci del Parc de Collserola and the Museu de Ciencies Naturals de Granollers (MCNG), as well as with the construction of a pond for amphibians, the placing of shelters for squirrels and bats, and initiatives to protect hedgehogs.
The cemetery also supports the "Refugis WN de fauna i flora" project, from the World Nature Foundation, which promotes the preservation of the nearby countryside.
Shared social responsibility
For ÁLTIMA, CSR is becoming increasingly important and is based on the integration of social and environmental factors into the group's operations and the relationships with its different stakeholders. This commitment is evident at all levels of ÁLTIMA, both internally and externally, through all the activities and communications carried out, its image and its language.
With a desire to contribute to social integration and taking into account the regulations on the employment of disabled people, ÁLTIMA maintains collaboration agreements with various non-profit organisations, such as:
- Cáritas: ÁLTIMA, a Cáritas "Empresa con Corazón/Company with a Heart", supports various projects run by this non-profit organisation, whose purpose is to help the human advancement and comprehensive development of people, raise awareness in society and promote social justice.
- "La Caixa" Social Work through the collaborative organisations, Cordibaix Federation and Marianao Foundation, to form part of the Incorpora project. Through this initiative, ÁLTIMA wants to contribute to the commitment and responsibility in matters of social inclusion for disabled people, improving the quality of life of these people and their families, emphasising their integration and full participation in society.
- We collaborate with the Once Foundation with supplier companies linked to this organisation.
- It is a sponsor of the We Care Chair - End of life care from the Universidad Internacional de Cataluña (UIC), which aims to contribute to research into end of life care in the field of palliative care.
- It supports AECPAL, the Spanish Association of Palliative Care Nurses, and the Make a Wish Foundation, which helps children with serious illnesses to achieve their most significant wishes.
- Charity initiatives: at the end of 2013, the group also promoted a charity initiative in Figueras, in collaboration with the Red Cross, supporting a music concert to collect toys for underprivileged children.