The support to families to whom we provide integral funeral services constitutes the basis of our existence as a funeral company and, therefore, is the basis of the sustainability program that we have developed.
This base strategic commitment currently leads to 4 operational objectives around which we have launched 14 sustainability initiatives:
Contribute to improving the quality and innovation of the funeral services sector:
- We are continuing the agreement with the University of Barcelona to teach the Mortuary Science postgraduate program: ÁLTIMA is a founding member and promoter of the Mortuary Science postgraduate course at the University of Barcelona.
- Development of the 11th Annual ÁLTIMA conference for professionals in collaboration with the UIC: experts in the field of health met in the 2018 edition, in collaboration with the International University of Catalonia (UIC), to address the correct approach to the reality suffered by many patients with serious diseases or in an advanced state. More than 300 people from the healthcare sector attended.
- Participation and sponsorship of the Panasef Forum: Panasef, the Spanish association of funeral companies, organized the first biannual forum of the sector in Zaragoza in 2018 with the aim of communicating to society the value proposition of the funeral sector, breaking barriers involving the taboo on death and continuing to progress the professionalization to which the sector already tends. Through various activities (lectures, exhibitions, gastronomy demonstrations, lectures, contests, etc.), the importance of the funeral sector and the role it occupies in society was transmitted. ÁLTIMA sponsored and actively participated in its organization and development.
We offer an integrated, personalized and quality funeral service:
- During 2018, the implementation of the new advisory contracting system was completed: through the new system, families can see the complete offer of products and services with total transparency, and thus select what is best suited to their needs with maximum freedom and knowledge.
- We are continuing to use the NPS (net promoter score) system to measure the satisfaction of all families that have used our services.
- We hold the ISO 90010-2000 quality certification.
Support to families in mourning:
- We offer psychological care through Comprehensive Psychology Services (SIPS) professionals, specialized in emergency psychology. At our facilities, they assist families in crisis situations due to the loss of a loved one.
- We give access to mourning groups through AVES: in collaboration with this non-profit association, we offer access to mourning groups in which people who have lost someone close to them meet to share their grief and, in this way, cope with it.
- We provide information and advice from specialists: we have a network of professionals who are knowledgeable about any type of bereavement situation, and we have books and various publications available to the public in our centres with advice on the best way to deal with the death of a loved one and to be able to help someone who has suffered bereavement, such as for example the book Walking Together in Grief.
- We promote initiatives such as the Art and Absence workshop, in which, with the help of specialists, we address loss using art, flower workshops, poetry, music therapy, the application of the Brigde Method, days of magic and music for seniors with Jordi Moncayo and the collection of dogs in Roques Blanques.
Contribute to the generation of knowledge related to end-of-life care:
- During 2018, we completed 5 years of sponsorship of the professorship We Care: Care at the end of life at the International University of Catalonia, which aims to contribute to research on end-of-life care in the field of palliative treatment.
- We increased the content of knowledge concerning funerary topics in the Tanatopedia, a virtual encyclopaedia created and promoted by ÁLTIMA, open to the community to promote knowledge of funeral culture. In it, you can find information on religious rituals, works of art, facilities or cultural customs.
- Collaboration with the Official College of Nurses of Barcelona (COIB): the Nursing and Society Foundation collaborates in the creation and maintenance of content aimed at citizens, to deal with situations such as the loss of a loved one or the appearance of a disease. And it does it through the Virtual Nurse platform for the promotion and education of health (www.infermeravirtual.com).
- Spanish Association of Nursing in Palliative Treatments (AECPAL): we offer support to AECPAL, which works to guarantee the best possible treatment for both patient and family.